- 1716 Baptised at St. Wilfred’s Church, Kirkharle, Northumberland.
- 1732 leaves school to work as an apprentice gardener for Sir William Loraine at nearby Kirkharle Hall.
- 1740 after moving south, Brown gains employment for Lord Cobham at Stowe, where he was to work under direction of William Kent.
- 1744 marries Bridget Wayet in St. Mary’s Church, Stowe.
- 1751 moves his family to Hammersmith.
- 1764 gains Royal appointment as Master Gardener, and moves to Wilderness House at Hampton Court.
- 1767 purchased Fenstanton Manor, three years later becoming High Sheriff of Huntingdonshire.
- 1783 Died at his daughter Bridget’s house in Hertford St. London.